The city Cuttack has its own glory of 1000 years that makes this land famous in all over the world. According to history in 989 CE this beautiful and powerful city Cuttack was established by King Nrupa Keshari a great king of "Keshari" dynasty as a military base. Later in 1211 CE Cuttack becomes the capital of "Ganga dynasty" a powerful kingdom founded by great king "Raja Anangabhimadeva III". Hindu, Muslim and Mughals all ruled over this city and add their own creativity and art in this city. Still today also this city is an important part of Odisha.
Cuttack is primarily a narrow strip of land which stretches from east to west. This place is very fertile owing to the varying terrains. The western side has a hilly terrain while the eastern has delta plain due to the River Mahanadi. Rice is grown in abundance here as the tributaries of Mahanadi aid in paddy fields. Cuttack is 30 kilometers from Bhubaneswar. The famous art of the silver filigree work originates from Cuttack. It has international acclamation. This work involves intricate use of thin silver wires into making of exquisite jewelry, utensils and other decorative items.
he legendary skills of Cuttack artists can be seen on the stone embankments also on Kathjori River dating back to 11th century AD. To add more charm to the architectural skills of the people of Cuttack, stand the ruins of the Barabati fort, on the bank of the Mahanadi. Home to several sports events and cultural programmes today, the fort evokes brave memories of the bygone days. There is a very famous Hindu Temple coined Katak Chandi that rests at a strolling distance from the fort area.
cuttack unique example of inter religion brotherhood is held upright by another popular shrine at the city named Qadam-i-Rasool. Acclaimed by both Muslims and Hindus, the shrine is surrounded by a high compound wall with rising towers at each corner. The shrine is marked for a rare music gallery built in l8th century AD. Another attraction at the shrine is the footprints of Prophet Mohammed imprinted on a circular stone in its central dome structure.