The Jama Masjid of Agra or "Jami Masjid" as it is also known was built by Shah Jahan in 1648 for his daughter Princess Jahanara Begum. Located near the Delhi Gate of the Agra Fort, it is said that construction of the masjid was completed in almost six years using almost 5,000 workers! The mosque is a sight to behold and is a must-see on any visit to Agra.
The Buland Darwaza is the grand entrance which leads to the Jama Masjid. The mosque is placed on an elevated platform with five major entrances into its main praying area. Many walls within the mosque feature delicate carvings and inscriptions from the Quran, the holy book of Islam. The exterior of the mosque is done mainly in red sandstone with some amount of detailing in white marble. The central courtyard of the mosque is fairly large and accommodates a very large number of devotees during prayer times.
Emperor Shah Jahan, the great king of the Mughal dynasty, is credited with constructing lots of beautiful structures in and around Agra. The Taj Mahal is the most prominent of them all. The next beautiful structure is the Jama Masjid. This mosque was built by the Emperor in 1648 and bears slight resemblances to the magic made out of marble, the Taj Mahal. Red sandstone is the basic raw material used in the construction of this mosque. It took 6 years for the mosque to get constructed. Close to 5000 workers were involved in the construction of the Jama Masjid. When it was constructed in 1648, the Jama Masjid had a massive open area in the front, known as the Tripolia Chowk, between the Jama Masjid and Agra Fort’s Delhi Gate. However, in the period between 1871 and 1873, this Chowk was destroyed in order to give room for the Agra Fort Railway station. During those days, Islamic scholars were so spellbound by the beauty of this Jama Masjid that they compared it with the great Baitul – Mamur, a scintillating mosque in the fourth sky made from rubies and pearls.