Jain Museum is a complex dedicated to the preservation and display of Jain sculptures. It was opened for display in the year 1987. It is located within the premises of the Jain Temple. The circular building of the museum is also known as Sahu Shantiprasad Jain Kala Sangrahalaya among the locals.
Khajuraho has three museums in the vicinity of the temples in Khajuraho. A.S.I maintains the arcaeological museum near the Matangeshwar temple in the western group of temples, Adivart Tribal and Folk Art Museum is in the Chandela Cultural Complex and Sahu Shantiprasad Jain Kala Sangrahalaya is near the eastern group of temples. Dhubela Museum is on the Jhansi - Khajuraho road and houses artefacts related to Bundela Dynasty.
Khajuraho museum history. W. E. Jardine was the keen of art and sculptures. He was the political agent of Bundelkhand of that time. The loose sculptures and other cultural remains were collected from the ruined temples and preserved in an enclosure which laid the foundation of museum in the year 1910. This thoughtful collection still continues to be known as Jardine Museum. However, the present museum near the market complex, conceptualized in 1952, after the Archaeological Survey of India took over its charge, is known as Archaeological Museum, which is the museum open to public. The present museum was established in 1967 and comprises five galleries that have sculptures symbolic of the Jaina, Brahmanical and Buddhist faiths. A good number of well carved sculptures are exhibited in the present museum, in a modern display concept. It consists of five galleries, a Varandah and the gateways.
The galleries are named as Main Hall and Veradah display, Jaina Gallery, Vaisnava Gallery, Miscellaneous Gallery, Saiva Gallery. The museum possesses more than three thousand sculptures and architectural member of which about 110 are on display. The antiquities are ranging from 9th to 12th Cent. A.D. which throw significant light on social-cultural aspect of the region. The displayed period piece are primarily associated with the Chandellaâ€™s, a powerful medieval dynasty which ruled over the region around Khajuraho, anciently known as Kharjura-vahaka the religious capital of the times . The archaeological Museum, Khajuraho houses 3424 registered antiquities including sculptures of different sects, among which the Saiva, Vaisnava, Sakta cult and Jaina images are significant one. The secular objects like celestial nymphs; scenes depicting social life and the erotic and amorous couples also deserve attention of the general visitors.